Monday, January 23, 2012

Classroom seating

Last week the Manitoba Association of Multi-Age Educators (MAME) offered some after school workshops at HS Paul School. I attended the session presented by Lana Warren called: Warren's Wonderful Workshop: Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades. Along with information about Daily 5, I was also able to get some ideas about classroom organization. Lana had her students arranged in two groups of 11-12 desks. Currently our classroom had six groups of four to five students and I was struggling with finding a meeting area to accommodate all of us. The next day I shared the idea of arranging our desks in two groups of 14 which would open up a centre area for class meetings. The students were eager to give it a try and so far it has been well received. The open area in the centre allows for all of us to meet comfortably .......some students may also say this space is perfect for a game of Twister during indoor recesses! :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was really a fascinating subject, I am very lucky to have the ability to come to your weblog and I will bookmark this page in order that I might come back one other time.

Karen said...

What a great idea. Your classroom looks awesome! And, I love this blog. I've shared the link with my sister so she can check in on her niece, hard at work. :)