Thursday, April 18, 2013

We Are Silent!

Today all of our class is being silent for WE ARE SILENT day. Everyone who wants to do it bought a tag that they wear around their neck. The tags were one dollar and it has information about why we are not talking. We are doing it for all of the children who don’t have the rights that they deserve. I am impressed that so many people are not talking. Not even Mrs. Tresoor is talking. We have done some worksheets about today. The first one was called Children’s Rights. The questions that it asked were: what is the difference between adults and children, are children able to care for themselves the same way as adults, should children be granted the same rights as adults, and when children’s rights are not being protected, do other children have the power to help? The second thing that we did was we got
a paper with three scenarios on it and we had to choose one of them to cut out and glue them in to our writer’s notebook and write what we think about them. The first scenario was if you were working instead of going to school, the second one was if you had no home, and the third scenario was if you didn’t have clean water to drink. I did scenario number one and three.
I am trying to be silent for most of the day. We only have to not talk when we are at school. When we got to school there was a quote from free the children and it said: We stand in silent solitary with children whose voices are silenced by not having their rights upheld”. It is really hard to not talk for the whole day but I think it is worth it because we are raising money for the children who do not have the rights that they deserve. I wonder if we are going to do this next year? I hope so!
By Renee  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was quite difficult to stay silent all day. Did you like silent day or no? I know I did!
--> Cam

Anonymous said...

Nice post Renee! Some of us have been quiet for most of the day.

-Colin17

Anonymous said...

Im still not talking!!
One question have you talked yet?
I have only once
By.Riley

Anonymous said...

Good write up Renee and I really liked both pictures and I really enjoyed today but it is kind of hard not to talk if you have to really say something.

Felicia

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog post Renee i have a question is we are silent every year? From:Mike

Anonymous said...

It was so hard to be silent and I cant imagine what that would be like every day. I still have my tag. Do you still have yours?





- Jensen

Brandon said...

I missed ALL of this while I was in Phoenix :(